Friday, December 17, 2010

Benched: Donovan McNabb


Just when it looked like the worst!
Washington Redskins' highly valued QB, Donovan McNabb, has been #benched for the remainder of the 2010-2011 NFL season with Rex Grossman scheduled to start Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys, the Redskins reported earlier today.

"I also told him (McNabb) that I could not guarantee him that he would be back next year," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan told the team's website (
www.redskins.com).

McNabb, 34, started every game for the Redskins (5-8) this season after being traded from the Philadelphia Eagles in April. Although he inked a 5-year, $78 million extension with Washington a few weeks back, his future with the franchise was day-to-day.

He was guaranteed an extra $3.5 million this year under the extension, but the deal allowed the Redskins to release him before next season without any additional payment. That was a warning sign!

"I talked to Donovan after practice (on Thursday) and I told him that once we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs that I made a decision to start Rex Grossman," Shanahan said.

"I also told Donovan that there's nothing he could do in the final three games that would influence me on what he has done over the last 13 games," the coach added.

"Right now I have to do what is in the best interest of this organization and that's to get a good feel for where we're at the quarterback position," Shanahan said.

Look for John Beck to be Grossman's backup for the remainder of the season.

Grossman, 30, has not started a game since November 9, 2008 when he was with the Chicago Bears, and he underperformed and got dealt.

He played the final two minutes of an October loss to the Detroit Lions after Shanahan benched McNabb the first time.
Talk about disrespectful.

SCREAM @ ME!!!

1 comment:

Reginald White said...

I'm not going to pretend to be a sports commentator... well sure I am... but the Redskins appear to be the stupidest franchise in professional sports, no receivers- joey galloway is the oldest non kicker in football, no running back- Portis and Torraine hurt, no offensive line and they bench the QB- did they bench the punter and long-snapper after the botched extra-point after the QB drove the team down the field for the (should of been) tying score... I'm confused, but hey I went to school for English and got cut from my High School Basketball Team

Post a Comment