Thursday, January 20, 2011

Royals Pitcher Gil Meche Retires, Forfeits $12M Salary!?

Former Kansas City Royals Pitcher, Gil Meche, announced his retirement from baseball Tuesday. Multiple sources report he will leave the $12 million salary he was going to receive from the club this year on the table.

Meche went just 6-15 with a 5.29 ERA for Kansas City over the past two seasons, during which he was affected by injuries to his right (throwing) shoulder.

"As a competitor my entire life, this is the hardest decision that I've ever faced, but it's not fair to me, my family or the Kansas City Royals that I attempt to pitch anymore," Meche said in a statement released by the team.

"I came into this game as a starting pitcher and unfortunately my health -- more accurately, my shoulder -- has deteriorated to the point where surgery would be the only option. At this stage of my life I would prefer to call it a career rather than to attempt to pitch in relief for the final year of my contract."

I can respect his decision to move on with his life and not cause the Kansas City Royals a world of financial trouble. That was the most commendable act I've personally seen in sports in a while.

#BigUps Gil Meche, FOXSports.com for the story, and Ms. Parker for the lead.

SCREAM @ ME!!!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment