Saturday, June 11, 2011

Movie Review: Premium


I felt compelled to compose this review. Not really sure why. I'm not really sure why I even watched the movie honestly. I blame Money...my real life girlfriend, for the Netflix account, and Zoe Saldana...my Hollywood girlfriend, for being casted.

The 2006 film features Dorian Missick as Reginald Coolidge known throughout the film as "Cool," Zoe Saldana as Charli, Eva Pigford for about 10 minutes total, and Hill Harper as some uptight lawyer guy. Needless to say...he nails his role. Just kidding Hill...#BigUps. Cool is a struggling aspiring actor, at the closest moment to the deepest, darkest point in his life. I mean, he's 28, lives with his mom and her boyfriend, works at "Phil's Gas Station" (Phil is his mom's boyfriend), and drives...well, pedals, a 1990 Huffy. That's limited edition for those who don't know, and 10-speed, might I add.

One night, Charli, Cool's ex-fiance, pulls into his gas station. Cool, excited to see her, learns Charli moved back to New Jersey and is actually scheduled to jump the broom in about 36 hours. Charli has indeed moved on with her life, Cool on the other hand... I'm sure you can put together how the writer (and Director), Pete Chatmon, decide to pull you through an hour and approximately 37 minutes.

Overall, I give this movie a 6.5 out of 10. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. Prior to viewing this, I was on the search for a good "urban comedy." One worth telling people about. One with rewind potential. I'm not sure if I found that in this particular film...but it was surely better than the recommended picks that sit beneath the movie's vague description.

As a side note, if you don't have a Netflix account, I URGE you to sign up sooner. It's great for having access to more than the radio-like 6 to 10 movie rotation you'll find on the "premium" (no pun) cable movie channels. I mean, let's be honest, how many times can you and I watch "Inkheart" or "The Fifth Element?" Let alone take them seriously...

Check the Premium trailer...








SCREAM @ ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment