Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is @MeekMill The Next B.I.G.? by @Myke_Kewl



I've heard many heroic & iconic stories of rags to riches...but not one is more incredible than that of the Philadelphia native Meek Mill.


As I sat in front of my computer on youtube and went through a high volume street resume of Meek, I had found that I honestly forgot about some of his most infamous and notable street freestyles and rap battles. These were the verses/freestyles/cyphers/punchlines/stories that had the city of Philadelphia in an uproar. The underground scene was more popular then the radio. For example, I would get into my friends' cars and notice only a handful of "real CDs" The B.Coming, The Truth, Tough Luv, and Philadelphia Freeway to name a few. That's not to say those were all they had. The rest? Well, the remaining were all blank or underground "burnt" discs, not one of my friends truly cared for anyone on the radio. At this point, it was all about the street creditability you needed to even get an ounce of respect coming up in the Philly underground scene. Meek Milly was a member of a special class of talent that revealed the truth of every hood throughout my city; rapped over beats about the harsh realities of every urban community Philadelphia encased.

Just going back and listening to those classics bars, my blood, close to boiled and my heart raced at a faster pace than it usually does. He was WAY before his time in thought & action and it was obvious.

How about a notable lyric? Nas in Illmatic "I'm so muthafuggin hungry that my head hurt."

At the age of 16 or 17 years old, Meek spit: "from the slums of Philadelphia/ where guns is only left for ya/ where niggas steal ya health from ya/ and won't even send help for ya." These vivid words turned into pictures. When I think of who I would or could compare him to as far as love & support it reminds me of the stories I once heard coming from various Brooklyn natives in their regard of Christopher "Biggie Smalls" Wallace, during his time coming up. A street rapper who was visible and touchable. He wasn't just someone you heard of or got "put on" to...nah, Big was out there, in Brooklyn...everyday. Philadelphia has grown with Meek Mill, even local artists he had previously maintained everlasting battles with, support now. Why? Because we all recognize how important his movement is to our city. He deserves it. I know many feel they deserve it too, but you have to give credit, when credit is due.

Meek Mill is the real Finally Famous, the real Cole World. Nothing about his career was premeditated, edited nor fashioned to entertain. This was a 100% authentic Cinderella story (the irony). A real Dream Chaser, a real moment of believing in a dream and making it come true. Not just your mother telling you, you COULD be a doctor one day...but you have never seen a doctor in the physical. This is not hypothetical. This movement of Meek's is a reality. A reality for children growing up in the same slums of Philadelphia where they call him a hero. Not only children, but foreign adults, peers, and elders, as well. He did it! And we, citizens of Philadelphia, PA especially, watched him almost every step of the way. To see Meek Mill on BET, just over a week ago, was like watching your little brother get drafted to the NBA, play his first game, and go on to score 50 points!

What's funny is I remember a friend of mine telling me years ago, Meek Mill was not only the best rapper in the city, but the best rapper in the world. And at that point, it was only right to laugh. Now, none of us laugh when we hear that anymore, we may argue, but none of us completely doubt that man.

Trust me when I say, we are all happy for our brother Meek Mill, The Dream Chaser. Forget about the concept of "chasing" the dream, he caught the dream and beat it up like it owed him money, which it probably does.

The legacy of Meek Mill is real to us, but for you, non-Philadelphia natives, it has probably just started. Philly stand up & Philly Support Philly.

Ed. Note: You can contact @Myke_Kewl via his twitter account or HERE.

1 comment:

@zacharyklewis said...

I was just saying this to my homie last night. The superstar Meek is now, he was for YEARS in Philly. Good article

Post a Comment