Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's About That Time

In a few weeks, we'll be bringing in the year 2011. With that, when I turn on Power 99 or even Q102 (word to @whoisblee), there are a few artists, I just don't want to hear anymore. This is not a form of disrespect. I have the utmost respect for the following individuals as artists and musicians. And I can honestly say that I was a fan of their product at one point in time. However, enough is enough. I cannot and refuse to speak for the masses here, but...real rap...your fifteen minutes were up four hours ago. I'm going to take this time to focus on 3 of them.




Photobucket



My first pick is Snoop Dogg. When I put him on this list and shared it with some (older) people...they were ready to cut me off completely! I don't care though, it's about that time to move on. Do movies or something. Real ones. No "Hot Boyz" or "Bones" type joints. Those were ass. But REAL movies...you know, like with budgets and directors, and that go through studios and not through basements. Call Tyler Perry to see if you can guest star in one of those whack films/t.v. shows he's responsible for! He'll be down for it...trust me. (I know I lost a few of you with that one.)

For a while though, I honestly thought Snoop was on his way to the other side. He had his family reality show. I thought that was a great transitional move. Perfect way out...or "way in" rather. But then he hopped on Katy Perry's California Girl, and that's when he lost me for the final time. I know there are other rappers from Cali that would have not only made more sense, but quite possibly could have performed better on it. (Try Tyga, Travie McCoy, shit...Xzibit)

Snoop, your one-time nephews are now uncles themselves. I'm sorry...but #yougottachill.





Photobucket



With the second pick of this draft, I'm going to go with Mary J. Blige. Mary, Mary, Mary. Figured if I said or typed that 3 times, you'd vanish from the airwaves. I promise you will go down as the Queen of Hip Hop and R&B...I think you think someone is coming for your title. That has to be why you're hopping on everything. You're like Rick Ross at this point. Yeah, it's cool at first, but after a while...and 4000 beats that belong to other people...your voice just starts to get downright annoying.

DON'T GET ME WRONG! Mary can blow. She has an unmatched talent. And has definitely paved the way for young talents like herself. I just think it's time to leave the mic alone. I think she should start grooming the next Mary, if that's at all possible. She has the money. She has the address book. She has the track record. She's done so much that her cosign would actually in fact, matter.

Ms. Blige, Brooklyn...whoever you are today...I love your work. Your fans are loyal, but enough is enough. You've performed your encore, received your standing ovation, now please exit stage left, preferably.




Photobucket

And to bring it home, the one and only...DIDDY! I'll say this, again, I'm a fan and honestly, I look up to you, as an upcoming industry executive myself (or at least I would like to believe it). But, you are a savvy, marketing genius, with a solid team of business minded individuals around you...let the studio go dude. Yeah, you've had "hit, after hit, after hit," but cuz...YOU have to stop recording. You are the most serious of the 3 cases. Not only are you messing up an arguably "classic" catalog, but you're forcing the new shit down them youngsters' throats, beating your gimmick into their brains. You have my little sister singing that whack dirty money shit...thinking it's G.O.O.D. music. Pun intended. Reality is, it's sub par. The beats and the features are only going to carry you but so far in this evolving genre Mr. Combs. You know this.

This ticks me off too: Where are your artists??? You do have some right? Why have we been getting diddy single, after diddy single, when you house artists with talent and potential, that have been shelved for years?! Even when you're not hogging the mic, you're co-signing someone who probably doesn't need your co-sign (see Rozay and Nicki)! You're pissing me off. Either you're an executive or you're an artist. Even when you do finally start giving your crew the push they may or may not deserve, when it comes down to that one award show's last performing slot, and they come to you, who are you going to put up there? I know. You know. The public knows. You drawin. You used to really impress me. You don't anymore. There's more push for Ciroc than there ever was with any of your artists besides BIG & C. Mack. Pull yourself together, and remember what got you where you are.

What really kills me about the three of these spotlight hungry, old timers is...they don't do this for the money. Any one of them could retire tonight, and live off SOMETHING, ANYTHING else...comfortably. They have all paved some way for their respective lanes. Usher in the new class y'all. You know you're good. We know you're good. The next generation will know your work well also. You've earned that. But what you haven't earned is the right to bogard my favorite radio stations. Hang it up...flat screen.

SCREAM @ ME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment